High Stakes Poker - Netflix

High Stakes Poker is the premier cash game in the history of television. The world's top amateur poker and professional poker players risk hundreds of thousands from their own pockets.

High Stakes Poker - Netflix

Type: Sports

Languages: English

Status: Ended

Runtime: 60 minutes

Premier: 2006-01-16

High Stakes Poker - High Stakes Poker - Netflix

High Stakes Poker is a cash game poker television program, which was broadcast by the cable television network GSN in the United States. The poker variant played on the show is no limit Texas hold 'em. It premiered on January 16, 2006 and ended on December 17, 2007 for the first 4 seasons and the last 3 seasons ran from March 1, 2009 to May 21, 2011 and was simulcast in 3DTV on N3D. The participants on the show include both professional poker players and amateur players. The show was hosted by AJ Benza in the first five seasons, alongside Gabe Kaplan. Starting with the sixth season, Kara Scott replaced Benza as Kaplan's co-host, with Scott conducting interviews from the poker room floor. Starting with the seventh season, Norm Macdonald replaced Gabe Kaplan as Scott's co-host.

High Stakes Poker - Large Pots - Netflix

In Season 2, Gus Hansen won $575,700 with four fives, beating Daniel Negreanu's full house. Hansen raised to $2,100 with 5♦ 5♣, and Negreanu re-raised to $5,000 with 6♠ 6♥, which Hansen called. The pot was $11,700, and the flop came 9♣ 6♦ 5♥. Hansen checked his set of fives with a 4% chance of winning the hand and Negreanu bet $8,000 with his set of sixes and a 94% chance of winning. Hansen raised to $26,000 and Negreanu called, bringing the pot to $63,700. The turn came 5♠, making Hansen quad fives, leaving Negreanu a 2% underdog with his full house. Hansen bet $24,000, and Negreanu called, slow playing his full house. The pot was now $111,700. The river came 8♠. Hansen checked, and Negreanu bet $65,000. Hansen then went all in for his remaining $232,000, bringing the pot to $408,700. Negreanu called, and Hansen won the pot of $575,700. This was the largest pot before the $500,000 minimum buy-in game played during Season 4. In the November 12, 2007 episode of Season 4, Jamie Gold won $495,867 of a $743,800 pot that developed between Gold with three Kings on the turn card, and Patrik Antonius with a straight on the turn card. Antonius held A♠ J♦ and Gold had pocket K. After the 3♠ Q♦ 10♥ flop and K♥ turn, Antonius was a 4-to-1 favorite with his straight vs. Gold's three kings. Gold moved all-in and Antonius called. With such a large amount at stake, the players agreed to run the river (deal the river card) three times. The first river card, Q♥, and the second river run, 3♦, both paired the board to give two wins to Gold with a full house. The third river run, 8♠, kept Antonius' straight in front. As a result, Gold won $495,867 from the pot and Antonius won $247,933. Antonius' calm demeanor after the hand prompted host A.J. Benza to comment, “I'll tell you one thing: Patrik can take a punch. Imagine if that was Phil Hellmuth.”

In the November 26, 2007 episode of Season 4, Doyle Brunson won a $818,100 pot against Guy Laliberté. Brunson held A♦ 10♦ and Laliberté A♥ 5♥. The flop came A♣ J♠ 4♦ and the turn was 2♦. Brunson bet the turn, and Laliberte raised and Brunson moved all-in and was called. The players agreed to run the river twice. Brunson was a 75% favorite with his better kicker and flush draw, and he won both times to take the entire pot. After the hand, Brunson said, “When you don't make a pair for eight hours, you go crazy.” Later in that same November 26, 2007 episode of Season 4, Patrik Antonius won $749,100 from a $998,800 pot that developed between Antonius with a pair of nines on the flop, and Sammy Farha with a king-high flush draw. Antonius went all-in after the flop and Farha called. The odds were roughly even, and the players agreed to run the turn and river four times. Antonius won three times to take three-quarters of the pot, $749,100, while Farha won $249,700. In Season 4, Guy Laliberté and David Benyamine created a pot of $1,227,900 — the largest in High Stakes Poker history — before negotiating a reduction of the pot to “only” $238,900. David had A♣ 8♣ and Laliberté had K♦ 5♦ and the flop came K♣ 3♦ 5♣ giving Laliberté top two pair and Benyamine the nut flush draw. Acting after Farha, Benyamine raised to $43,000 and Laliberté reraised to $168,000. Farha folded his A♥ 3♠, Benyamine went all-in, and Laliberté called, bringing the pot to $1,227,900. After turning the respective cards over, Laliberté, knowing he was the favorite, offered to run it once or twice. After further negotiation, Laliberté offered to take the pot previous to the raises of $238,900. Benyamine agreed. Antonio Esfandiari and a couple of other players wanted to see the turn and river, but Laliberté and Benyamine refused. In Season 5, Tom Dwan won the biggest pot — $919,600 — to be played straight up (with no deals or multiple runs). Dwan won with three Queens, beating Barry Greenstein's two pair – Aces and Queens. Peter Eastgate was the original raiser with A♠ K♥, with Greenstein re-raising to $15,000 with A♦ A♣, Dwan calling with K♠ Q♠ and Eastgate calling behind him. The flop came 4♠ 2♠ Q♥, causing Dwan to bet on his pair of Queens and a King high flush draw, Eastgate to fold, Greenstein to raise with his pair of Aces and backdoor straight draw, Dwan to reraise, and finally Greenstein to push all-in, which Dwan quickly called. Greenstein had turned down Dwan's offer to run it twice on an earlier hand (in which Dwan had the best hand when they went all-in, though Greenstein ultimately won), and this time Greenstein again wanted to run it only once, but offered to take some of their money back, which Dwan turned down stating “sorry...no” Commentator Gabe Kaplan noted the comparison with the earlier hand when Greenstein would not run it twice. At this point, it was almost an exactly even race. The turn was the Q♣, and the river the 7♦, so Dwan won the pot of $919,600.

High Stakes Poker - References - Netflix